Writers Strike
Anyone have any insight on the writers strike and the impact on entertainment stocks? My cousin is a production assistant at Disney (or was until they laid him off until the strike ends) and he thinks if it is not settled by late January, it wont be settled until July. Basically, the TV writers apparently get their fattest checks from pilots and the bidding goes on in January. Once that passes, there is no reason to seriously negotiate again until July. I dont know how accurate this view point is. Additional/contrary thoughts are welcome.

2 Comments:
It is bad for the broadcasters if it isn't resolved soon (probably bad for the writers as well). NBC is already offering refunds to advertisers who signed up for new episodes and got reruns.
Additionally, the upfront is in March. This is where national advertisers purchase the first available inventory for the upcoming fall season. If the strike isn't resolved by then, you're not going to have much to sell advertisers.
The temporary solution is to air more sports, reality TV, and gameshows, but I think the American public is pretty much worn out on this shit.
This is particularly bad for an industry that is already losing advertisers to other medium. In my opinion, this HAS to be solved before the upfront.
If you figure it out, call me. I'm not really sure anyone wins. And I definitely don't know how to play this thing.
If writers could go out, find talent, and get a loan, they could create some good web content. But I personally don't think the world is ready for that yet - not enough bandwidth.
So, they need each other (writers and networks). Figure it out already.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home