The Frozen Tundra
I know some of you are already aware, but I thought I'd provide an official update for my classmates.
Most, if not all, of you know that I was a victim of the December layoffs at Waddell & Reed. After 3 months of networking and interviewing all of that exciting jazz, I am excited to say that I have accepted a position with Associated Wealth Management in Green Bay. Interestingly enough, I also had an offer to stay in Kansas City with a small firm. I decided that the opportunity and responsibility in Green Bay was too great to pass up.
At Associated, I will have a number of roles and my title is officially Vice President of Fixed Income. For those who are interested, I'll detail my roles:
- I am the first investment grade analyst on a portfolio of approximately $1.5 billion in mostly A or better credits. The first task I am tackling is HOG.
- My job is to develop some sort of credit policy for how we should make credit recommendations around here. What should a credit model look like? What is important to understand about credit that is different from equity? What should a credit report include?
- As part of the second role, I am supposed to roll this platform out to the equity analysts to enable them to make recommendations into our fixed income fund.
- I am participating on a small committee to help decide how our new subsidiary, Kellogg Asset Management, will progress strategically. We are working on obtaining GIPS compliance. Next step will be to decide on how to leverage our outstanding performance going forward. Do we mutualize our product and expand it beyond wealth management? Can we distribute outside of ASBC? What do institutional clients want in a money manager? And so on...
- Just in case I won't be busy enough, I will also be covering a number of stocks in the media, leisure, and entertainment space. HOG is the first (dual coverage is nice). I'll also be looking at DIS, IGT, OMC, CMCSA, VIA.B, HST, and others in time.
Jessica and I are pretty excited about the opportunity (less excited about Green Bay, but we'll adjust). We are in the process of trying to hire a couple of equity guys as well to continue rolling out the team and leveraging the platforms.
I hope all is well for everyone else.
Most, if not all, of you know that I was a victim of the December layoffs at Waddell & Reed. After 3 months of networking and interviewing all of that exciting jazz, I am excited to say that I have accepted a position with Associated Wealth Management in Green Bay. Interestingly enough, I also had an offer to stay in Kansas City with a small firm. I decided that the opportunity and responsibility in Green Bay was too great to pass up.
At Associated, I will have a number of roles and my title is officially Vice President of Fixed Income. For those who are interested, I'll detail my roles:
- I am the first investment grade analyst on a portfolio of approximately $1.5 billion in mostly A or better credits. The first task I am tackling is HOG.
- My job is to develop some sort of credit policy for how we should make credit recommendations around here. What should a credit model look like? What is important to understand about credit that is different from equity? What should a credit report include?
- As part of the second role, I am supposed to roll this platform out to the equity analysts to enable them to make recommendations into our fixed income fund.
- I am participating on a small committee to help decide how our new subsidiary, Kellogg Asset Management, will progress strategically. We are working on obtaining GIPS compliance. Next step will be to decide on how to leverage our outstanding performance going forward. Do we mutualize our product and expand it beyond wealth management? Can we distribute outside of ASBC? What do institutional clients want in a money manager? And so on...
- Just in case I won't be busy enough, I will also be covering a number of stocks in the media, leisure, and entertainment space. HOG is the first (dual coverage is nice). I'll also be looking at DIS, IGT, OMC, CMCSA, VIA.B, HST, and others in time.
Jessica and I are pretty excited about the opportunity (less excited about Green Bay, but we'll adjust). We are in the process of trying to hire a couple of equity guys as well to continue rolling out the team and leveraging the platforms.
I hope all is well for everyone else.

3 Comments:
Damn, trying to have good ideas is more than I can handle.
good luck
Does anyone have a list of media content owners? Including mid/small cap? Seems that the best pure play in large cap is Viacom, then Disney, Time Warner. It would be interesting to know if there are any new library aggregators.
Owning content libraries (productive assets with no capex) is pretty interesting.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home