Ethics - Have to love it
When I saw Jet Blue at $5 today I was reminded about an e-mail I wrote for that tree hugging ethics professor:
When reading about Worldcom's customer complaints I was reminded of a documentary that I recently watched called Lost Boys of the Sudan. It was about twenty something men from Africa who were brought to America to escape the wars in their country. One of their toughest hurdles in the U.S. was figuring out their phone bill and talking to the operator to get a cheaper rate plan because they had no money. It was humorous yet sad. I doubt the company that they were using was MCI. I guess my point is that they should compare MCI against other phone companies and not totally different industries. This brings me to their example of a good company: Jet Blue.
My prediction is that Jet Blue is going to go bankrupt. Not because they stopped paying attention to the customer, but because they operate in the most competitive industry. Currently Jet Blue stock price sits at it's all-time low. I wonder if PlanetFeedback would have written up Jet Blue if it did not prove their point which currently it does not.
I am a frequent flyer on Midwest Express. They use to treat me great with Champagne and gourmet breakfast. After one downturn in the economy they suddenly could not afford any meals.
JetBlue in the next downturn will suddenly learn that airline customers, without fail, always look for the cheapest flight. And now the legacy airlines no longer have the debts that they once did because the government bailed them out of their long term pensions. Where is the ethics in that? Jet Blue now has to compete with companies that have a superior cost structure because they lost so much money in the past. It makes no sense, yet it is the world that we live in. My advice to Jet Blue is to run your company into bankruptcy so you can compete.
When reading about Worldcom's customer complaints I was reminded of a documentary that I recently watched called Lost Boys of the Sudan. It was about twenty something men from Africa who were brought to America to escape the wars in their country. One of their toughest hurdles in the U.S. was figuring out their phone bill and talking to the operator to get a cheaper rate plan because they had no money. It was humorous yet sad. I doubt the company that they were using was MCI. I guess my point is that they should compare MCI against other phone companies and not totally different industries. This brings me to their example of a good company: Jet Blue.
My prediction is that Jet Blue is going to go bankrupt. Not because they stopped paying attention to the customer, but because they operate in the most competitive industry. Currently Jet Blue stock price sits at it's all-time low. I wonder if PlanetFeedback would have written up Jet Blue if it did not prove their point which currently it does not.
I am a frequent flyer on Midwest Express. They use to treat me great with Champagne and gourmet breakfast. After one downturn in the economy they suddenly could not afford any meals.
JetBlue in the next downturn will suddenly learn that airline customers, without fail, always look for the cheapest flight. And now the legacy airlines no longer have the debts that they once did because the government bailed them out of their long term pensions. Where is the ethics in that? Jet Blue now has to compete with companies that have a superior cost structure because they lost so much money in the past. It makes no sense, yet it is the world that we live in. My advice to Jet Blue is to run your company into bankruptcy so you can compete.

2 Comments:
We took an ethics class? Funny, I don't remember going.
How about the accounting professor? I liked that guy, forgot his name "How is everyone, what a great day". He's great, just as Starbucks is a good concept, unfortunately, SBUX retrenching. I'm a buyer below $10, but it will be a few years before it is through consolidating and has a renewed growth profile.
Does anyone have the other Matt W. contact information? Thanks
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home