Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ruining a franchise in slow motion

I subscribe to a rap magazine. Yeah, there it is. XXL, I'm a douche bag. Recently they interviewed several sports stars and rappers and asked what system they had. They all said eitherXbox 360 or the Wii.

Sony as a company can not do much worse than they current doing. Halo is the death of the current version of the Playstation. The Wii was the knife. Halo is twisting it. The High Def DVD is the hooks on the blade. That is my view.

That is the video games, here is the music division which I am not an expert on but I do pay attention to this blog and it does not look pretty:

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/09/23/more-rick-rubin/

I love the fact the Howard Stringer's brother runs this unit and it is a disaster.

Current situation:

Playstation - disaster (they even fired the genius behind the original playstation)
Music - train wreck (see blog post)
Televisions - irrelavent (look at Visio, price is the motivator now in this commoditized sector)

Maybe movies are profitable, but I do not know. I suspect that the dollar is just killing them in electronics, but I am sure the Japanese bankers will do something about that, they always do.

In the end, I am not sure what the answer is. They need new management, if they have wholesale change this could be a winner I guess. Currently, it could not be run any poorer. But every second you let this guy run the company just drains more value from the franchise. Reading Lefsetz was eye opening how messed up things are in their music division.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home