Monday, September 01, 2008

David Brown - International Man of Mystery

http://www.bus.wisc.edu/CIBER/news/showNews.asp?ID=102

Good god. I wish I was smart enough to be a prof.

15 Comments:

Blogger MattKelly54 said...

The company Beverly would not pay a dollar for is getting bought for $65

9:04 AM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

Yeah, I missed that one. I was too busy making more money in other ideas.

11:24 AM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

Congrats if you had better picks than that.

Hard to believe but congrats.

3:18 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

Does Rupert Murdoch read our blog (newstand price $2.00)

'Wall Street Journal' to Raise Cover Price, Again
Rupert Murdoch must think highly of the changes he's made to The Wall Street Journal: He expects readers to pay one-third more for it.

Starting on July 28, the Journal will raise its cover price from $1.50 to $2.00, putting it on a par with the Financial Times. Interestingly, the hike comes as the paper's editors are being urged to think more about how they can use the front page to boost newsstand sales -- not something that has traditionally been a major focus.

An industry source says distributors are unhappy about the way the Journal has handled the increase, giving them just two weeks of advance notice and offering them only 5 cents per copy of additional revenue. "Doing it like this creates a lot of ill will," says the source. (A Journal spokesman confirmed the plans for the increase but had no comment on the other details.)

It's also bound to cost the Journal some readers -- unless, of course, that new, zippier front page really is that much more appealing to newsstand browsers. After the paper increased its cover price from $1 to $1.50 last year, average single copy sales fell by about 8 percent.

Murdoch's other New York newspaper, the Post, doubled its cover price in May, to 50 cents. No word yet on how much circulation the Post has lost as a result of that change, but it can't have been all that beneficial to the bottom line, seeing as the paper's now in talks with its arch-rival, the Daily News, about combining some operations to save cash.

8:07 AM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

Thank you Beverly for talking me into selling gold. That worked out very well.

No El Oro's charts are telling me it is going into the 50's instead of 60s.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

its been a pretty amazing decline in commodities. There are some good companies that have taken a beating too. A lot of the global infrastructure names have taken a beating too like JEC or MTW. I am tempted to step up and buy but, if my track record is consistent, I am probably way, way, way too early. Other views welcomed.

11:02 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

you like to buy the things I like to short. MTW just levered up in the worst credit market of all time. They were possibly in default when they did the deal.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

Didnt know that about MTW. Havent really followed them since I sold last year.

I am finding that everytime I have an impulse I need to write it down and put in an envelope with do not open until 6-12 months later.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Not Sure if Al Gore or Global Warming is a Bigger Joke said...

commodities are done going down soon, gold was up $20 today when oil sold off, nat gas was up, most agriculture was up, oil is close to done falling....the opec nations have big bills to pay. I would expect more and larger production cuts in the future.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

Well this is fun. Any wagers on who is next to fall?

2:47 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

Well dude, I'm speechless.

I am still buying loans and I am sorry to everyone I pitched on them so far.

Look, you can buy closed end funds of leveraged loans and lock in a 11% dividend before discount appreciation of the loans. Every time you get a dividend it is like a paying the total amount of one of you 1% portfolio companies. Even if defaults are 12% you can theoretically collect that in one year.

People were falling all over themselves to own loans a little more than one year ago. Deals are still oversubscribed for good companies.

6:22 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

I hate this country.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

You should start looking for real estate in Chile or Estonia then. If you hate this place now, just wait until the inevitable regulation follows. If Enron and WorldCom led to Sarbanes Oxley, you can only imagine what will becoming soon.

11:59 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

United States changes name to Quick Fix

8:11 AM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

bottom line, the economy is bad because people are not paying back their debts. This reinforces people to not pay back debts.

Short sellers are absolutely not the problem.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home