Monday, October 20, 2008

Any good ideas

Here is what I am buying and have bought:

PM, EFR (may exchange for EFT for tax reasons), DPS, EBAY, CMG.B

12 Comments:

Blogger Dov and Talya said...

EFR is on my buy list....
Names I like and own are: FMS, DVA, UNH, CVS and a bunch of beaten down large cap tech names - CSCO, MSFT, and INTC, although expected to guide downwards due to slower tech spending...

6:31 PM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

GWW, FAST, COL, ROLL, PEP, ANSS, BLKB, MLHR

I've already caught a couple of falling knives that I'll keep to myself...

9:48 AM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

Yo Dov, have you looked at WellCare. I have never bought a health care stock but Pabrai and others seem to like this a lot.

6:32 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

and I bought Ascent Media which apparently sumzero told me to buy today. Hopefully I can prop up the equity price.

6:35 PM  
Blogger blog_name said...

If you like Wellcare then you can probably get it on sell tomorrow after Coventry had a complete disaster of a report after hours today (stock is down 30% in after hours). Coventry completely messed up its Medicare pricing, which doesn't tend to be a company specific issue (i.e. others in the Medicare Private Fee for Service will likely have similar issues). Like Dov, I also like UNH but fear these companies could essentially turn into utility companies longer term.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Dov and Talya said...

WCG is seemingly dirt cheap, but as I remember has some significant legal risks (FBI raided its offices last year…hence the stock dump from 100+ to the current levels) which no one has any idea what the outcome may be, so I would stay away...never good to be involved in FBI raids esp. in healthcare...see THC after 2002:)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

The problem with buying when there is blood in the street is that the street might get bloodier. Some of my recent trades will look good on my gravestone. Before then, not so sure.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Fresh said...

I'm sure no one will buy them and everyone will think I'm a nutjob (and this has the potential to blow up in my face), but I like the legacy airlines.

8:49 PM  
Blogger MattKelly54 said...

Sorry dude, I would like to roll with you on the airlines but it violates my rule #1. Whitebox loved airlines.

Are there any good primers on managed care? Who is the best on the street?

9:32 PM  
Blogger blog_name said...

John Rex at JPM at really good and pretty balanced. Matt Borsch at GS is a big bear and I disagree with his analogy with the property & casualty industry. I can send you primers from both of them. There is a lady from Bernstein, who I never heard of, just rolled out on the group so her work is new. I'm not sure if she is any good but I can send it to you.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Odoacer said...

Gutsy call on airlines. I couldnt do it but there will be money to be made at some point.

What is the bull case for UNH?

9:57 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

Full disclosure on airlines... I have received private information on U.S. Airways and they were not part of my general statement that airlines look attractive. I have no opinion (at least no public opinion) on them in general. Ya know, just in case the legal types ever read this thing.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home