And now for something completely different...
Barrack Obama is going to win the election. It looks look my man won't make it, not despite a heroic run that went farther than romney, guiliani, thompson, as well as many others; and thus, save a last minute bloomberg entry, I am going to vote for the shadow.

12 Comments:
Not likely. I will probably vote for him, did so in the primary, and I am a 0-3-1 in presidential elections (Bush Sr., Dole, Kerry and no vote in 2000). If you are looking to make money on intrade fade me. I will let you know if I change my mind - I might still vote for McCain.
Cid, what is your boy Obama going to get accomplished?
nothing, i am still voting for him if ron paul doesn't run 3rd party campaign. no president on the payroll changes anything, policy has been the same for 90 years.
Obama's theme song will be the Georgia Satellites "I got some change in my pocket going jing a ling a ling..."
I actually dislike his economic polices as he is too populist and anti free trade. However, there are 2 reasons why I might vote for him.
1) His presidency would have the potential to transform race relations in this country. The race card will be less of an excuse in America. You will no longer be able to simply blame racism for the incarceration rates, drug addiction, crime and wellfare dependent families when one of your own has shown you can be president. The change would not be overnight but it would be there.
2) I dont like Hillary and I generally think McCain is too old. A process of exclusion...
Free trade? GT, you need to review our trade policy before you endorse the US as a "free trade" nation....what you will find is quite contrary to actual free trade. Its more like, we trade freely with some and in some products and have huge restrictions on others and other things.
How free is our sugar trade? How free is our apparel quota trading system with China? How free is our drug and medicine trade policy? I could go on but feel I have made the point.
Also, I think you are way too optimistic about racial tensions being removed, what happens when the CIA assasinates him and blames a neo-nazi? Pretty sure that would be more damaging to race relations than if he was never elected at all.
I hope you like paying taxes. They're going higher no matter who wins this thing. That's the one thing that Bush did that I like.
Of course, low taxes coupled with high spending is a disaster.
That Obama is anti free trade does not automatically mean the US is a free trade nation. It is a relative statement comparing him to the policies of the Clintons and Bushes. I expect Oliver Stone will assassinate him, blame it on the CIA, and use the event to make a new movie that nobody watches. Bush's tax cuts were irresponsible.
I think people underestimate the power of an inspirational leader. While the relative direction of the economy is hardly positive, in absolute terms, the last 15 years has seen America at its wealthiest ever. Yet, you would think it was the 1930's with all the moping and woe is me stuff. I would like a Roosevelt or Reagan not because of their idealogies (obviously polar opposites) but because the were able to rally people. The aggregate of the individual will always be more capable than the dealings of a central goverment so long as it believes in its direction. This country has no direction and frankly, is too absorbed in reality tv and Britney's latest meltdown to act. Obama may not measure up to Reagan or Roosevelt but the possibility is there as opposed to the Hillary or McCain.
Bush's tax cuts were fine. Bush's spending was irresponsible.
Does anyone think that we couldn't significantly reduce the government's budget and still be just fine as a country? I'll stop there at the risk of turning this into a political blog.
Is that Ron Paul talking?
So now Cid thinks the president does not have to do anything. Just be inspirational.
So Matt, what exactly is a president supposed to accomplish? Strap on an AK-47 and clean out Baghdad Rambo style? Go down to the capital and start kicking congresses' ass until they balance a budget? Maybe Chuck Norris could but he's not running for president. You make it sound like a President has dictarial powers. As if he can just stand up at a podium and say something and it will immediately happen. Maybe Obama is the wrong one for the job, I am not pounding the table that you or anyone else vote for him. But dont try bullshitting me with the idea that just because McCain says he is going to lower taxes or that Ron Paul says he is going to bring all the troops home that suddenly it will be done if he is elected President.
You are the one that wanted accomplishments.
There are many powers that president has just by not doing anything. That is what Ron Paul would have done.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home